N.Y.S. Sales Tax Certificate
New York State law requires all merchandise vendors to have a NYS Sales Tax Certificate. It is free and easy to get. It will be delivered to you from 5-20 days after you have successfully applied. Please ask them any questions you may have 518-485-2889. You will find them to be easy to reach, friendly and informative The New York State Sales Tax Department enforces this law, not Nassau County Craft & Street Fairs. We are only responsible for making sure our merchandise vendors are in compiance at the time they apply for space. NYS Sales Tax Department Agents are authorized to come to any event and require vendors to produce their proof of compliance. Sorry, if you cannot or will not get a NYS Sales Tax Certificate we cannot legally do business with you. Please do not be fooled by those event producers who say merchandise vendors are not required to have a NYS Sales Tax Certificate. In order to rent space they are advising you to break the law and that could be very costly for you.
- You do not need a CPA or be a New York resident or own a business or be incorporated in order to obtain a Free NYS Sales Tax Certificate
- You may be a child or an adult.
- The NY State Sales Tax Certificate has nothing to do with, and is entirely different than an EIN. The Federal Government issues EIN's.
- The fastest way to get your certificate is by appying online. When your online application has been successfully completed you will have the opportunity to print it and save it to prove your compliance with the law in the event their Agency approaches you at any time you are selling at an event.
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLYING ONLINE
- Log onto www.businessexpress.ny.gov
- Create your account by registering as a new user
- Once your account has been created then log on to it
- Select SEARCH INDEX A-Z and type in DTF-17 in the search bar
- Select APPLICATION TO REGISTER FOR SALES TAX
- Select APPLY ONLINE.
- It is advisable to save a copy when you have successfully completed filling out the form.